The monument to the Tenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment is on the corner of Araby Church Road and Baker Valley Road on the Monocacy Battlefield. From the National Park Visitor Center take the Urbana Pike south 0.9 mile and turn southwest on Araby Church Road 0.45 mile to the intersection with Baker Valley Road. The monument is on the northwest corner of the intersection. (39.360379° N, 77.387309° W; map)
At the time of the battle and when the monument was dedicated the Urbana Pike had not been built. Araby Church Road was the main road to Washington, known as the Washington Pike, and was the main objective of the Confederate attack. The monument, erected on land pucrchased from William G. Baker, marks the 10th Vermont’s position in the afternoon fighting.
The granite monument was dedicated in 1915. On its front is a bronze Greek cross, the symbol of the Union Sixth Army Corps.
First Lieutenant George E. Davis and Corporal Alexander Scott, both of the regiment’s Company D, were awarded the Medal of Honor for their heroism during the battle.
Lieutenant Davis’ commendation reads, “While in command of a small force, held the approaches to the 2 bridges against repeated assaults of superior numbers, thereby materially delaying Early’s advance on Washington.”
Corporal Scott was commended for “at Monacracy July 9, 1864 this soldier, a corporal in Co. D, 10th Vermont Volunteers and carrying the State Flag while his regiment was withdrawing under very heavy fire of the enemy saw the color sergeant bearing the national colors fall out of line exhausted and drop to the rear which meant inevitable capture. Corporal Scott, then nearly overpowered by the heat and fatigue, picked up the national flag and carried both colors during the remainder of the action.”
From the monument:
was erected by the
State of Vermont
to designate the position of
10th Vermont Infantry
during the battle fought here
on the ninth day of July 1864
to save Washington, “and we saved it.”
Seven companies occupied the Washington
Pike, while three companies occupied
Road opposite the