The monument to the 14th New Jersey Infantry Regiment is on the west side of Urbana Pike (State Route 355) in between the bridges over the railroad and the Monocacy River. (39.370711 N, 77.39258 W; map)
This was the first monument on the Monocacy Battlefield. One hundred eighty surviving members of the regiment and friends attended the dedication ceremony on July 9, 1907. The 24 foot high granite monument is topped with the figure of an soldier reaching for a round in his cartridge pouch.
The 14th New Jersey was nicknamed the “Monocacy Regiment.” For nine months during the winter of 1862 – 1863 the 14th guarded Monocacy Junction, becoming well-known to the community. The regiment returned for the battle in 1864, losing two-thirds of its men – more than any other Union regiment in the fight.
From the monument:
14th Regt. N.J.V.
Erected by the State of
New Jersey to commemorate the
heroic services of the 14th Regiment,
New Jersey Volunteer Infantry,
1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Army Corps,
Army of the Potomac, at the
Battle of Monocacy, MD.
July 9, 1864.
The 14th Regiment New Jersey
Volunteers was organized on the
Monmouth Battle Ground, and
mustered in the United States
service near Freehold, New
Jersey August 26th, 1862, and was
mustered out June 18th, 1865, near
The Union forces
commanded by General Lew Wallace on this battlefield
so stubbornly opposed the Confederate troops under
General Jubal A. Early as to assure the safety of the
The commission to erect the monument
Major John C. Patterson, President
Adjutant William H. Foster, Secretary
Corporal R. A. Clark, Treasurer
Captain Jarvis Wanser
Sergeant John Grover
Thos Manson & Son, Builders
A plaque placed on the 100th anniversary of the battle reads:
This site rededicated July 5, 1964
Civil War Centennial Commission
State of New Jersey
A ceremony was held on July 7, 2007, to commemorate the monument’s 100th anniversary. The monument was completely cleaned, vandalism damage repaired, and the bronze plaques cleaned and waxed.
A new plaque placed for the 100th anniversary of the monument’s dedication reads:
We commemorate the 100th anniversary of this monument and rededicate it in honor of those who served with pride and distinction in the 14th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry. One hundred years ago, in a time of healing, the surviving veterans came here to remember their comrades and their sacrifices. We gather here today to honor them anew. Their struggle to preserve the Union must never be forgotten.
The New Jersey Civil War History Association
July 7, 2007.
See more on the 14th New Jersey Infantry Regiment during the Civil War