The ‘McCausland’s Attack’ wayside maker is beside Worthington House on the southwest side of the Monocacy battlefield. Worthington House is reached by a National Park service road that runs north from Baker Valley Road immediately west of the underpass under Interstate 270. (39.361649 N, 77.401921 W; map)
From the marker:
11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. July 9, 1864
Brig. Gen. John McCausland’s cavalry brigade forded the river, dismounted, and advanced up the slope toward the Worthington house. Thinking they would be facing inexperienced militiamen, the Confederates formed a line in front of the house and moved on foot through a cornfield toward the Thomas farm, about half a mile to the east.
There, Union Brig. Gen. James B. Ricketts’ seasoned troops, concealed in a field behind a fence, surprised and repulsed them. McCausland’s Confederates advanced again only to be driven back, with heavy losses, to the Worthington house. But more Confederates were on their way.
Onward they went through the growing corn…. Then…the whole Federal line of infantry rose to its feet and resting their guns on the upper rails of the fence took aim and fired a…murderous volley into the ranks of the approaching foe.
Glenn H. Worthington