For many years there was little recognition of the event or its participants on the Monocacy battlefield. A Monocacy Monument Association was established in 1889 to erect a monument, but although money was raised no national monument was.
It was fitting that it was the State of New Jersey that finally placed a monument on the battlefield in 1907. The 14th New Jersey Regiment honored by the monument not only fought in the battle, it had lived on what was to become the battlefield for nine months during the winter of 1862-63. During that time many of its soldiers formed close relationships with members of the community.
A Pennsylvania monument followed in 1908, and in 1914, the fiftieth anniversary of the battle, a monument was dedicated to Confederate soldiers. The Vermont monument followed in 1915.
Then the battlefield sank into annonymity. The Washington Turnpike was shifted from what is now Araby Church Road to its present route. Bushes and weeds obscured the Vermont and Pennsylvania monuments. The 75th anniversary of the battle saw little more than an article in the Frederick newspaper.
In 1934 Monocacy National Park was created, although no land was set aside. On the centennial of the battle in 1964 Maryland dedicated a small monument to its soldiers who served on both sides in the battle. By 1978 the park’s name was changed to Monocacy National Battlefield and the Federal Government was authorized to purchase land for the park. Significant additions to the park were made in the 1990s and a Visitor Center was developed at Gambrill’s Mill.
Today there is a new Visitor Center at the northern entrance to the park and intrerpretive markers at Worthington house and the Best and Thomas Farms. After 150 years the Monocacy Battlefield has begun to be recognized.