The ‘Worthington-McKinney Ford’ wayside marker is is in the yard of the Worthington House on the Monocacy Battlefield.

Worthington House can be reached by a National Park service road that runs north from Baker Valley Road immediately west of the underpass under Interstate 270. (39.361649° N, 77.401921° W; map)

Two other wayside markers are nearby, McCausland’s Attack and Worthington House.

The Worthington McKinney Ford marker

The Worthington McKinney Ford marker (click to enlarge)

From the marker:

Worthington-McKinney Ford

11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. July 9, 1864

Confederate troops succeeded in finding their way across the Monocacy River at the foot of this hill. Brig. Gen. John McCausland’s 350 cavalrymen came up over the hill and assembled on the front yard of the Worthington farm. Maj. Gen. John B. Gordon’s 3,000 infantrymen crossed about three hours later, swung south of the house, and proceeded over Brooks Hill to your left. The next goal of the Confederates: to maneuver around the Federals’ left line on the neighboring Thomas farm.

The Worthington McKinney Ford marker on Monocacy National Battlefield

The Worthington-McKinney Ford marker on Monocacy National Battlefield (click to enlarge). The view looks west. The treeline in the distance is on the banks of the Monocacy River. Braddock Heights and South Mountain are on the horizon.